Wednesday, June 03, 2009

On Our Way

Sunday we got up and drove back to Woodbridge, to the neighbor's house to say goodbye and pick up our suitcases and cat. While I rearranged luggage, the girls said goodbye to Nina, Delia and Ben.It was pretty sad, the kids have been such good friends- playing dogs, having sleepovers and just getting along so well. We will miss them so very much! We loaded the suitcases into an airport car, and headed to a hotel near Dulles for the night. Grammy and Papa followed us with the cat, who was actually very sweet and loving in the hotel. We think maybe we got the wrong cat!


Next morning, we got up and went to Dulles, and checked in. Our luggage was fine (I was worried it was over weight!) and the cat was okay to go (some confusion at the last minutes, so I was SO relieved!!).


Then onto the plane, where the beautiful flight attendants were waiting. The girls *love* the KAL flight attendants- they are so pretty! And they dress really beautifully, and bow, and are really just super pleasant. Gryphon enjoyed pushing the call button and getting lots and lots of peanuts and drinks. They had in seat movies and games, so the girls were well occupied, and we ate bibimbap (rice with vegetables) for lunch. The flight actually went somewhat fast, considering it was 7000+ miles and 14 hours!





The only wrinkle was the cat. Rocko was drugged, as per the vet's directions, with Dramamine. Supposed to work better than Benedryl for cats. Well...not so much. I gave her some on the way to the airport, but she howled at take off, so once in the air, I took her to the bathroom and gave her more. Then she somehow got out and ran around the plane! Yes, through the first class cabin, back down to the flight attendants area. I had to catch her and stuff her back in. I have no idea how she did it- one minute she's in the carrier, safely stowed under the seat, the next she was out! The latch was still closed, she didn't chew a hole, I guess she pushed the zipper about 1 inch and that was enough. So she rode on my lap after that, in the carrier, to be sure she wouldn't get out. I gave her yet more Dramamine. Nothing. More? Nothing. I am sure I way overdosed her with the stuff, so we'll be getting something different for the ride home, or better yet- we'll fly when she can go under the plane!! But she made it, no one was too upset, and thankfully there were 3 babies and one very, very irate toddler on the plane who screamed more than enough to cover any meowing. And the girls were great- they needed almost nothing and are such wonderful travelers that I could focus on the darn cat.
Mark and a guy he works with (I forgot his name!) were waiting for us, and we got into a van and drove to Seoul. It was so weird to be back, but so much older and with the kids! The weather was really cloudy and foggy, so they didn't get the full effect of how large Seoul is. They were tickled by our house, immediately unloaded all their stuff into their rooms and ran to the park next to the house. Then we drove around post and Mark pointed out the sights. Its much smaller than I remember! Rowan crashed about 8 pm on the couch, and Gryphon just after her.
We made it!!

1 comment:

Helena said...

Yay! That's certainly a memorable plane ride. (Poor cat!)