Thursday, June 04, 2009

Driving in Seoul!

Mark picked up the van on Monday, and I got my official license today, so we thought it was time to take the plunge and drive in Seoul! The weather was just super beautiful, so we hopped in the car and drove to Namsan Tower.Namsan means "south mountain", and it has a tower with a restaurant on top. A cable car or a network of stairs and trails gets you to the top- we opted for the cable car. It is a tradition for couples to come to the top and put a lock on the fence, then throw the key over the side. It symbolizes them being together forever. They are really cool to see, the thousands of locks.
There are recreations of the fortress and signal beacons from the middle ages on top of the mountain, as well as a beautiful pagoda, snack stands and a teddy bear museum.











The day was sort of foggy/smoggy near the skyline, so I don't have great pictures of the amazing view. Seoul stretches as far as the eye can see, in every direction. Below is a view of the Han river and bridges. The girls were impressed with the hugeness- I don't think they quite understood what a huge city they live smack in the middle of until today!




We're going to Lotte World, an amusement park, to celebrate Gryphon's birthday on Saturday, and then hopefully to a mountain to hike on Sunday. So more pictures coming soon!















4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos...plus, what a cool tradition (the locks/keys)! Love it!

Helena said...

You are brave! (The driving, I mean.)

I've been up Namsan (once), but I think I missed the locks. I thought it was neat how you can see that the city is so huge and full of concrete, but it does have a lot of green areas.

Jackie Wood said...

Love getting a chance to come along with you on your adventures!!

Lynnae said...

So fun! Thanks for sharing the journey(s)!

Umm, you guys aren't addicted to Coca Cola or anything, right??