Monday, May 31, 2010

Week in our Life, Day 1!

I did this project last year, or maybe the year before (I forget) and it was a really neat snapshot of our life. So this week I decided I would do it again.Every day (hopefully) I'll be taking photos of our daily activities, and posting them here, just a regular week planned. So check in this week and see what we're up to!

Unfortunately I put them on the blog *backwards*, and am having a tough time getting them reordered, so start at the bottom of the page and work back up!
9:30, time to turn on the English-language channel Arirang, where they show Korean dramas with subtitles. Sweet, sweet subtitles. The current drama is called "Working Mom", abotu a woman who has 2 kids and quit her job, but has a total loser for a husband. She divorces him and goes back to work, and it is *hilarious*. The whole family watches, every night!
After the party, bath and home work time. Helped Gryphon work on her Korean homework, she had to write things about a fictional town she had worked on to talk about in class. In Korean, of course.


After EMart, we went to a friend's house in the neighborhood for a party for Memorial Day. The food was wonderful, a good time hanging out with friends. The girls came back and ran in and out, too.

Coffee after shopping.




Our purchases, bread for a party, beer, ginseng to make dinner Wednesday, green onions, ban-chan, microwave rice. We forgot a bag (as usual) so we had to pay the 500 w fee for one. (About 40 cents). Sometimes I can stuff everything into my purse, but not today.





I know I said EMart was like Wal-Mart, but it really isn't. I mean, it *is*, they have clothes and housewares and food and all. But it *isn't*, because the uniform wearing samplers, the extensive fish selection, the aisles of dried seaweed are *not* anything like Wal-Mart. Like Alice in Wonderland Wal-mart, I guess.




On the list- ban chan, side dishes. I don't know how to make them, so I buy them. EMart has a large selection, so obviously other people can't make them either. My favorite must-haves are the tiny dried spicy fish and green onion kimchi. Yum.







Emart has a parking garage, and like all garages in Korea, the floors are freakishly clean and polished. The car tires make a squeally-squishy sound. Kids love it. The garage was full, so parked Korean-style, in a not-quite-spot. I will not be able to drive in the US, I am too used to parking on sidewalks and running red lights. ;-)




E-Mart!

The drive out to iPark always takes us past the red light district near the train station, and since I had my camera I took a picture. Not as evocative as the night I saw a scantily dressed woman sitting on a stool in front of the windows, bathed in red light, reading a book, but of course I never have my camera when I see things like that. Woman (madam?) vacuuming will have to do.



After lunch Mark and I drove to the iPark mall, tiem for a trip to Korea's version of Wal-Mart, E-Mart!



The girls left early to a birthday party at a waterpark in Camp Humphreys, outside of Seoul, so Mark and I were on our own for most of the day. We met an old jr high and high school friend, Ray, and his wife Hannah at a restaurant for lunch. It was really neat seeing him again after all these years, and I really enjoyed the lunch. I don't want to spoil their exciting news, so I won't, but it was really a cool thing to meet them on this particular day!










1 comment:

Joy Booth said...

This will be fun to watch your version of the Beudry/Stauffer reality show. So cool that you got to have lunch w/ Ray. I think I have guessed at their exciting news but I won't say anything but maybe they will need another airline ticket on the way back?