Rowan somehow heard about dissecting a frog online, and we searched for it one night. She *loved* it, so when I looked online at dissection kits and found an affordable one, I decided that would be our summer science project!
The kit we got came with a book on how to dissect a lot of different things, a tray, all the instruments needed (pins, scalpels, super sharp scissors) and best of all...a frog, a crayfish, a perch, an earthworm, a grasshopper, a sea sponge, and the super-cute and creepy fetal pig.
I thought the girls might be a little put off by the fetal pig, being a cuddly mammal and all, but not really. They named it Wilbur and are more than ready to cut it up!
We began with the earthworm, and had a whole lot of fun pulling its digestive system and heart out, and exploring the interior of a simple organism. Next up was the crayfish and its cool gills and exoskeleton- we went to a park and caught some live ones in a stream to compare our dead crayfish to. I don't know that we'll be memorizing the systems of these different animals or learning everything in the book, but we are certainly enjoying playing around with dissection this summer!
1 comment:
You guys are SO COOL!!!!
It looks like they had a blast doing this - too creepy for me (now). But I remember being young and fascinated with blood and guts!!
Science Rocks!
Post a Comment