Saturday, January 12, 2008

First Meet for Rowan

We are in New Jersey, just across from New York, for a rhythmic gymnastics meet this weekend- Rowans first. These are so much FUN- I had no idea how fun they would be! The leotards are beautiful, the girls are amazing little athletes, and its just such a neat (obscure)sport. We had such a good time! Here is Rowan, her coach, and Nicole about to go onto the floor. Her coach said she was so nervous she was shaking- but she did GREAT! They compete 2 at a time at Level 4, so she competed with Nicole. They run out through the fancy arch, do this funky little ballet-like salute to the judges, and start their routine when the music starts.

Here is the floor during warm-ups. Some teams have all the girls in the same leotard, which looks cool. Some girls have a different leotard (and the matching ball, hoop, etc) for each routine. We only have one- those things are expensive!
Here is Rowan and Brianna, Becky and Nicole before awards.


And here are Rowans ribbons- 8th place in floor, 9th place over all. I was tickled by her scores, and I think her coach was happy, too. And now that she knows how fun meets are, Rowan is excited to do more. We are too!
I'll update with pictures of New York later- and answer all of Helena's tag questions, too! Hope you are all having a great weekend!



3 comments:

Lynnae said...

Bravo to Rowan!! 9th Place overall??!! That's fantastic!! She should be very proud - I can tell YOU are by the way you write :)

Way to go!

Jackie Wood said...

This post brings a smile to my face! I am sure it was great fun to watch, Rowan is awesome.

Elden and I read this post together and we both reminisced about watching Rowan flip across the grass at the Masonic Temple in Alexandria.

Erin Campbell-Pope said...

Tell Rowan that Helen said she looked "so fashion" in her orange costume. :) And Congratulations on ribbon awards. I'm sure she did fantastic :)
-Erin