
OK, this is possibly the worst photo ever- it was the best I have! Most of them have only part of a puppy in them, since I was holding a very wiggly dog in the other hand. This is the *cutest* yellow Lab puppy, one of 3, only 7-8 weeks old. Just darling, with roly-poly little tummies, the size of my hands.
You know, the post-Christmas season can be sort of depressing. Maybe you didn't get what you wanted for Christmas, or had family issues, or were just generally stressed out and not enjoying the season. And now- its just bleck ol winter, cold and grey. Well, have I got the pick-me-up for you! Rescue Transport! I've talked about it on here before, but I did one today, and I must say- its just good for the soul.
The amazing thing about it to me is the amount of coordination and cooperation it takes to get these off the ground. No-kill shelters and rescues pull dogs from pounds and high-kill shelters, trying to save as many as they can. Regrettably, they manage only to save a small percentage of the millions euthanized every year. But in order to pull them, they need to get them out to the shelter or rescue with room- often states away. So this amazing network of volunteers goes into action, moving thousands of animals around the country from pounds and death to rescues, foster homes and "forever homes".
Tonight at the meet up location for my leg of the transport, their were 8 cars, 4 different transports using the same meet up location and same time! That rarely happens, but it was so neat to see the diverse people who do this- a gay couple who own a chicken farm (we chatted), a big, leather-clad guy who recently lost his beloved Schnauzer and does transports to remember his dog, retirees, lobbyists, stay at home moms, soldiers. And the dogs- wow! There had to be 30 dogs tonight. 2 beautiful bloodhounds, a Dalmation, a Shiz-Zhu mom and puppy, a dachshund, and lots and lots of my personal favorite- the All American Mutt.
I got to drive the puppy above and his 2 litter mates, the Shiz-Zhu mom and baby, and a darling black dog who tried to sit on my lap the whole way. She just smiled and snuggled. I'm pretty sure she knew how lucky she is. :)
Anyway, I know- its like a broken record around here. I also know most of you are full up on dogs or kids (or both!) and just can't adopt a rescue dog or cat. We sure can't. I can do little things like transport though, and whats more, it makes me feel good and I get to snuggle puppies. Maybe, if you need a pick-me-up, you'll consider doing transports, too?
2 comments:
Ohhhhh...... you had me at, er, um,... need?
Way back when you posted about this the first time, I signed up. Never got that ring-ring I was anxiously waiting for. I'll keep trying.
Love you and your spirit!
Hey! I tagged you on my blog. Ha. (You know, if you want to do it....)
Post a Comment