Monday, September 24, 2007

Art class at the National Gallery

This morning we took of to the National Gallery to do an art lesson from our art book- Artistic Pursuits. The lesson referenced several paintings hanging in the National Gallery, so what better place to go do art? Today's lesson was about orienting your paper/canvas/surface to accommodate your art, and using space.
The girls first decided to draw this portrait-orientated painting, "White Poodle on a Punt."















Then Rowan picked this landscape painting, "Lake Lucerne". Gryphon decided it was uninspiring and drew a daisy with her charcoal pencil instead.




Here are Rowan's "Lake Lucerne" and Gryphon's "Happy Daisy."











It was a great day for the gallery-very quiet, almost empty. Ahhhh, school is back in session! I know its selfish of me, but going to the museums when they are crowded is so annoying! Before we left we stopped off to see our favorite statue, Degas' "Little Dancer", and the Fra Angelico "Adoration" that is circular. That's the only non-rectangle painting I could think of that I knew we could see there, and it made sense to see it because we studied orientation of your art (horizontal/landscape vs vertical/portrait) today.
A very good day!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aunt Cami,
Would you homeschool me? All the things you do and the effort you put in will really pay off. Miss you all!! Haley still talks about George Washington and Abbey talks about eating her "pasickle" with Uncle Mark at "Abraham Lincoln's house" Love you all!!

Lynnae said...

The girls look oh-so-studious and grown up! What an amazing time for them to grow up with all of the great museums, buildings and general learning right at their fingertips.

I second that statement:
Would you homeschool me??

Love you!!

Erin Campbell-Pope said...

I'm impressed. If I move to D.C. will you homeschool my kids? You just do a fabulous job Cami. Give yourself a pat on the back!