Henricus is the sight of the Citie of Henricus, named after James I son, Henry. It was on higher ground than the swampy Jamestown, and the surrounding plantations grew tobacco until the Indians attacked in 16?? and the city was abandoned. At the park, they have a replica of the fort, the walls, a soldier's herb garden, and barracks buildings. Gryphon cleaned out the straker cannon, and Rowan got to load it.
Friday, September 07, 2007
Fun field trip!
On Wednesday Mark was off from school, so we all drove south to Henricus State Historical Park. Because we have been studying Native Americans and early colonial life, it sounded like a great place to visit. Boy was that an understatement!
They have a full size recreated Powhatan village, and as we had the entire place to ourselves, the girls got to work on a dugout canoe, scrape a deer hide, and pound corn to their hearts content. We also went inside a longhouse, and the guide was fantastic-we learned so much!
Henricus is the sight of the Citie of Henricus, named after James I son, Henry. It was on higher ground than the swampy Jamestown, and the surrounding plantations grew tobacco until the Indians attacked in 16?? and the city was abandoned. At the park, they have a replica of the fort, the walls, a soldier's herb garden, and barracks buildings. Gryphon cleaned out the straker cannon, and Rowan got to load it.
Henricus is the sight of the Citie of Henricus, named after James I son, Henry. It was on higher ground than the swampy Jamestown, and the surrounding plantations grew tobacco until the Indians attacked in 16?? and the city was abandoned. At the park, they have a replica of the fort, the walls, a soldier's herb garden, and barracks buildings. Gryphon cleaned out the straker cannon, and Rowan got to load it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Field trips are the best and it is awesome that you had the place to yourselves. Really gives the girls a chance to explore.
Happy Homeschooling!
Hey! All I can say is when I saw the words drive south I thought YES! she's coming for a visit....oh well...at least you head in my direction occasionally lol!
Post a Comment