

The girls and I have recently gotten involved in a neat cross-country effort to move homeless dogs (and cats) from high-kill shelters (pounds, etc) to no-kill shelters, rescues and foster homes. Sometimes the dogs are being moved from a rescue to a "forever home". Just in case you didn't know, if you are looking for a specific breed/color/size, and there aren't any in your immediate area, I can guarantee you there is one SOMEWHERE, and these transports make it possible to find that perfect dog and get him to you!
How it works is this: you join an email list for the major highway you live near (in my case, I-95). Then you take legs of the transport-in our case, usually the Fredricksburg-Alexandria leg. They are normally no more than 1 hours driving time. Split up this way, a dog (or dogs) can travel from one end of the country to the other, with no one person having to drive too long or too far. All it takes is a vehicle, and some time. That's it!
Today I drove the Fredricksburg-Alexandria leg with 9 dogs! Yes, 9!! I didn't take the girls along for this one, as this was a big (multi-car per leg), multi-dog run. These guys were all on death's doorstep. The puppies in the big crate? Left tied to a porch, no food or water, severely emaciated. They are still bundles of bones, but have nursed back to health by an ASPCA who ran out of room for them and was going to have to put them down. Enter the Rescue Railroad, and these lucky pups are on their way to a foster home, and hopefully a forever home soon. Riding in the other crate were two Shit-zus, very desirable little doggies whose time had simply run out. If only all those little-dog loving types knew to look at the local shelter for their dog! I also had a terrier who looked just like Winn Dixie, a pincher cross who could jump up 5 feet, I swear, and in the front seat, sweet Riley. He's the Golden retriever in the photo-just a lovable, happy guy.
Anyway, if you are interested (hint, hint) here are some links to follow:
For those blog readers in Missouri!
For those blog readers in Mississippi!
For those blog readers in Washington!
2 comments:
Awwww.....
You're SO FREAKING AWESOME!!!!!
(Stop making me cry)
I'm in!
Love,
Bug
I don't know how you do it but you never cease to amaze me that you can do so much already and yet still have time to add to that list.
Hugs to you Cami! You make the world a better place!
Post a Comment