Friday, September 04, 2009

More mountain climbing!



We went to Mt. Soyosan up north near where Mark and I were stationed a million years ago this past weekend. Of course, there was eating involved- can't climb a mountain without eating first! The mountain is as beautiful as I remember, but much mroe built up. There is a village of restaurants now inside the parks borders, along the streams.

We hiked up to a spot I dearly wanted to return to and photograph, but...it was very much changed. And not for the better. What was 13 years ago a cave temple, carved out of rock, with only hundreds of candles for light, was now a big complex. And worst of all, the cave temple was ruined with doors, FLOURESCENT lights, and a proper (non stone) floor. I am so sad to see these "improvements"! A bright spot was seeing adorable cats running, sleeping and playing on the temple roofs, I guess they are temple cats.

The girls enjoyed this mountain trip much more than Tobongsan, because we just wandered up easy stairs and trails, no hanging on ropes or climbing rock faces this time!

No comments: