Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Wednesday is "feed the cats" night for us!


We volunteer with a cat rescue called FourPaws. Each Wednesday night, we go to the Fairfax, VA Petco, where 4Paws has adoptable cats in cages.

There are two cats at a time at the store, and i must say, the Fairfax store is GREAT one for getting cats adopted-they usually stay only 2-3 weeks before finding a "forever home".

This is Gypsy, she was taken from a home with too many cats- like, 45. She is 5 years old, and used to be shy, but in the 3 weeks we've known her has really warmed up to us. If you pet her for very long, she starts to drool!

This is Dobey, with Rowan, he's a lucky boy who was rescued on the day he was to be euthanised from a pound in West Virginia. He is very, very sweet, and doesn't even mind Rowan's hugs. That's why we do it-to help animals, but also so the kids can get a "cat fix". Our cat, Rocko, doesn't like the kids, but the rescue cats are lonesome and love to play.

The girls go into the grooming room and play with the cats, give them wet food, brush them and love them.

While they play with and love the cats, I do the heavy cleaning-scooping boxes, sweeping out cages, wiping down with sanitizer. The girls usually help me refill food dishes and water, and empty the trash when we're through.

They love "feed the cats" night!

4 comments:

Erin Campbell-Pope said...

Cami this is great. How do you find such cool things to do with the girls that are also good for the community and for their souls. I'm telling ya, you are a good mom!

Anonymous said...

Cami, Gryphon and Rowan, You have imspired me. I think I may go up to Petco and volunteer too. You know I know a little bit about a cat that drools!Love you, love you, love you, Grandma in Seattle.

Lynnae said...

Grrrrreat idea!! I've been looking into that for Cole and I but you have to be a certain age to volunteer at the pound. Now I know where to go and he can start learning about *helping others* !! Furry or not. I miss you Cam, and thanks for the great blog!

Lynnae

Anonymous said...

This volunteering with your kiddos is so cool. My mom is dating a vet, so I asked about the drooling thing because my female cat does that when she lies in my arms (while in *front* of my laptop :-p)

Cats have scent glands on the sides of their mouths by their whiskers. That's why they rub up against things and you... marking you as theirs. The drooling just means the cat is very happy. It's very akin to the paw kneading, which is a reflex action back to their nursing days which was a happy time. To have a cat do these two things to you is *quite* the compliment.

Do remember to wash your hands well before going home to your kitty so you don't transfer any colds, etc. that the shelter animals could have.

Again, kudos on the volunteering.